Jennifer Bush has roots in Michigan, Colorado and Washington, though now calls Austin, Texas “Home.” Her first official job was at a local public library; she has unofficially been tidying books on library and bookstore shelves ever since. Jennifer is an active member of SCBWI and is committed to writing books that children will see themselves in, and that parents, educators and librarians will enjoy reading aloud. Her goal is to write fun, engaging stories that merge heaps of imagination with morsels of real world information.
“Most likely to accept “Can you read the next part out loud for the class?” like it’s her job.”
- Craft work
- SCBWI member: monthly meetings, critique groups, webinars, 2018 picture book retreat
- Participating: 2018 Storystorm, 12×12, Write Now! at The Writing Barn
- Conferences: SCBWI LA/Austin 2019, TLA 2019, ILA 2018, TLA 2016
- Writing. Revising. Resting. Revising. Writing. Revising. Repeat.
- First employer: Boulder Public Library
- Professional career: Marketing and Public Relations positions, crafting copy and producing public events (arts festivals, conventions, concerts, promotional sales/marketing events).
- Current: Book fair support for Austin-area schools
- Communications and Creative Writing
- Past-member of the Northwest Literacy Foundation, Seattle
- Three years volunteering in a local preschool
- Reading: board books, picture books, early chapter, middle grade, YA, adult, non-fiction, craft books, online industry sources and listen to podcasts.